Sunday, February 14, 2010

Method 9

Chatting and instant messaging are not regular features of my online experience... I'm more comfortable with email and texting. I have instant messaged with my family in the past, and I like the fact that it is a quick way to keep in touch, but instant messaging doesn't allow me to hear nuance, inflection, etc. Another drawback is that if we had not set up something in advance (in which case we would have just spoken on the telphone anyway), we had to catch each other online at the same time. I still prefer to actually hear the person's voice, but I do recognise that we live in a busy world.

The library webpage has recently added a librarian's blog, and adding the Meebo box would be a good way to dialog with the students. Two considerations would be staff time involved in answering students' questions and publicizing the feature so students will know it's available.

No comments:

Post a Comment