Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Method 12

"A Dozen Ways to Two-Step: Essential 2.0 Training for Texas Librarians" turned out to be useful to me on many levels. On the personal level, I learned about Google Docs, where I have access to my documents from any computer, and I will definitely use this tool. I also learned and will use the many additional features of Flickr, beyond the basic one of just posting photographs.

My greatest discoveries during this course, however, were those I will use on a professional level. For example, I have set up a wiki to collaborate with teachers on library units and on book/media selection for their subject areas. For future booktalks, I was thrilled to learn how to embed a video so that I will be able to embed book trailers, rather than having to click on a link during a presentation and hoping it works. Another tool I will use for reading promotion is podcasts, which I plan to put on the library website.

The program's format and concept worked well for me. I like self-paced workshops where I can read, process what I've read, and then practice. While I took longer than twelve hours to complete the program, that was mostly because I became interested in a topic and looked at all of the examples, read all of the articles, and/or spent extra time working with the method being discussed.

I would definitely participate in other discovery programs of this type if offered in the future. In my job as a libarian, I do my best to keep up with and incorporate new technology, and this course has been really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment