Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Method 7

The social bookmarking site delicious.com was not new to me, but I enjoyed taking an in-depth look at it and deciding how it would work for students and teachers at my high school. The article, "Tags Help Make Libraries Del.icio.us" from Library Journal hits the nail on the head with the observation that librarians are so careful about the books we select and the databases we teach but that we sometimes watch dumbfounded as some students use google to locate "ill-founded, unedited, and repetitive single-page resources."

I have a list of suggested Internet sites, grouped by subject area, on our school library website to augment the wide array of databases we offer students for research assignments. Delicious.com, with its tags and its ability to locate other sites using those tags would be a more powerful way to locate and organize these resources.

On a personal level, this site would be useful for me because I have both a school laptop computer, which I often use to do school work on at home, and a home computer. Both computers have organized lists of bookmarks, but at times the site I need is bookmarked on the other computer. An account on delicious.com would solve that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment